Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bald Eagle

There was a Bald Eagle shot in North Carolina around where I used to go to school.  It's sad to see such a huge bird (although it was just a baby) pictured in such a lifeless way.  Poor thing didn't have a chance.  And now I will give my opinion of guns  (please feel free to stop reading):

I don't like them.  I don't want to own anything that was made for killing.   "Well, you better throw away all your knives!" my father in law responded to my above announcement.  I explained to him that knives are used as tools.

There is no gun that was made to cut a carrot.  Of course I will agree that guns and gun powder were invented to bring peace.  Why then do we believe that in a country where peace is everywhere do we need to carry a gun?  I don't see the need.

"To protect my family" is a good reason.  I can understand feeling that something which puts power into your hands against a stronger individual would bring you peace of mind.  Of course because a gun has no loyalty there is a chance it can be turned on you.  So, I also believe that if you bring a gun into your house you should also consider it a weapon against your family just as much as a way to defend it.  Makes me rethink what kind of weapons I'd bring in.

If someone were to come into my house and shoot me, killing me and my children would not be all that harmful to us.  We would be dead.  I believe that this person, who is so sick to need to kill anyone, would carry us with them.  The killer would have to know they did a horrible wrong.  I would not be able to carry killing any human, I have a hard enough time with the thought of eating meat.

So, I choose not to have a gun because I choose not to be given the chance to kill anyone.
... but of course it's my choice, and you have a choice too.

The fascination with the gun is not all together a bad thing.  They are pretty amazing.  You put a small ball in this tube and it shoots out the other side.  I have nothing wrong with liking the mechanics of guns and learning how they work.  That is something I would call "healthy" for anyone to have.  There are thousands of museums with great displays of guns and that I find amazing.  I love to walk through and see how the gun has evolved through the years.  It's a study.

Gun owners who know more about their guns than their cars are people I believe should own guns.  They become great teachers on respecting the machine.  Gotta love the guys who can tell you why a gun in a movie is wrong and what the person would really be using.  These people I love!  These guys have their guns locked up and in a completely different place than their bullets.

.... Just thinking now, I'd love to meet a vegetarian gun enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment