Saturday, September 4, 2010

Family Pets

It's strange to hear that your last family pet has passed. It feels like a little part of your youth has disappeared. Agatha was her name and she was a British Bulldog. In other words: Bossy and Stubborn as hell! We all loved her and she pretty much told us where to be when we needed to be there. So, since she lived life always for her family and herself I would like to reflect on how wonderful she was.

Agatha was a dog who told you when it was time to go to bed. I shared a bed with her when she was a puppy and man did she know how to hog the covers. I would wake up in the middle of a December night freezing because Agatha had pulled all the covers off the bed. It wasn't like she wanted to use them herself, she just didn't think they matched the decor of her pink collar.

When my oldest sister would return home to her husband, Dave, he would view the pictures and announce that the floors of my parent's house were lovely because the only pictures my sister would take were that of the dog. Agatha loved the attention and it seemed that she posed for these shots! She was always a camera magnet, even when she was snoring.

I spent a summer living in a one bedroom apartment all by myself. I started getting these weird phone calls so my parents sent me the best line of defense for a creep they had: Agatha. I learned that she snored worse as she got older. The few friends I had come over she would get up from her bed and slowly strut toward them. Eyeing them up and down. Then with just a simple sweep of her backside she would be sitting on their feet and refused to move. It didn't matter if you wiggled your toes or moved your foot altogether, she'd find a way to be on your foot the whole night.

With such a bossy and stubborn attitude one would think this dog wouldn't care if you were upset, but that's where the real Agatha would shine. Instead of just plopping on your feet she would sit with her back to you and turn her head around. Then very gently she would place her gooey chin on your knee and sigh, as if to say "I know what you're thinking, it's hard being you. I realize you are terribly upset and I'm sorry... But if you give me a treat I'll take your mind off it." And she always did.

Thanks Agatha, for giving our family such a lovely spirit to remember and such a sweet heart to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment