Thursday, August 19, 2010

Button Anyone?

Being obsessed with sewing is a rather expensive habit. I found myself one day torn between buying milk or a six dollar button. Now, to be fair, I didn't really need the milk but this button was TO DIE FOR! It looked almost like a coin lost over the last few centuries that had a story to tell. You know, one of those things you would pick up and think "I bet it's been places I've never even known!". Perfectly worn and just the right type of dirty. That kind of tarnish one would expect when walking into a Pier 1 or Crate and Barrel. It is a regret of mine that I pass these things up. So what? It was just six dollars! Where's the harm?

This of course I could say about buttons I have seen on four different occasions each week for the past three years. Adding up all those buttons one would realize that: first, I own 468 buttons I've never actually used, two, that I am insane, and three, don't ask how much fabric I own (my husband would kill me if he found my stash).

To make the long story short, I like sewing and other things that pertain to it, like buttons. So when we were strapped for cash during my husband's birthday I made him a Kimono. I found the greatest fabric. I wanted it to be wearable in the winter so I lined it with felt. It was gloriously masculine! Thankfully my husband can pull that kind of stuff off without looking like he's trying too hard. One must remember that he would be wearing a comic book character T shirt under it.

Although I loved it and it looked great on him, my hubby wore it once for thirty seconds before placing it quietly into our closet. It's been months and I want someone to wear the damn thing! So I asked if I could sell it. He was cool with it, but he mentioned that he really liked it and it was just that the felt was uncomfortable. It was too hot and bunched under his armpits (wuss). So, in accordance with my list of things I want to do for myself I have started pulling out all the stitches and am starting anew with this piece. And the best part of this whole thing? I'll have to go out and buy a new button for it! YEEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment