Monday, August 16, 2010

Setting an Alarm

It's important to set an alarm, of course this makes sense when you need to be reminded of the time. It also helps when you need to be up at a certain time in the morning to do something rather important. For me, setting an alarm is like wearing a bra when you have no genes for boobs... it's there so you look like you're trying.

So I set my alarm and the inevitable happened. The snooze button was given a proper work out. After about an hour of this I was then woken by my two year old son calling out for help. He had apparently tried to set up his train tracks on his bed and he was rather upset because the tracks wouldn't stay level. This of course was followed by tears and snot becoming one of my pajama accessories. It was at this moment I realized why I had stopped buying nice clothes. After the tears had stopped and the building site of the train tracks had been moved to a flat surface, there was twenty minutes of quiet playing time.

Every parent knows what to do when their two year old is having quiet play time, you sleep. So I fell asleep in my son's bed only to be woken up by a pacifier being shoved into my mouth. My son stood over me with a big smile and in his own two word language called for me to "o-pin mowph" for my "pass ee". I refused and a new layer of snot and tears bedazzled my hair.

After ten minutes of this my husband appeared squinty eyed and sluggish. "Did you want to take a run?" as I lunged out of the twin bed I was trailed by a blur of color, just like in comic books.

Out the door I ran. My "run" was a much slower pace so I could enjoy the quiet of the out doors. I could hear a married couple yelling at each other through their kitchen window, there was construction just half block south and the train just half a mile north of me was screeching away. Ahh, nature....

Strangely enough I came home to a happy toddler, upbeat husband and sleeping infant. I showered and went back to bed. This time I didn't have to hit the snooze button on my alarm at all because seconds later I was woken by my infant daughter screaming bloody murder. Why did I set the alarm in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment