Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Great Responsibility... or Cookies

I've been pretty good about running every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It's only been a week, so I've done it once. Not bad for a procrastinating mother of two! It seems to be getting easier too! Meaning: I can run about half a block further without thinking "I'm dying, I'm dying, o my god I'm dying". Running, I have heard, can be meditative. Unless meditation is cursing under your breath while letting all your limbs flail and your face crumple into unspeakable pain, I'm not meditating.

Every time I see a fellow human being in such pain of their own accord I always want to commend them. They are getting from one place to another while putting their bodies through torture one step at a time. I always wondered if a call of encouragement would help them go another block or two. "Good for you!" I shout in my head. I remember that scratchy feeling you get in your lungs, as if the air coming in and out so fast has cut through that delicate layer of lung we all depend on so heavily. I remember the awful aching of every joint after a long run and the ice packs to sooth it. I remember all the pictures taken of people running. So painful! Then say quietly "Thank God I'm not doing it!"

So, it was a bit of a surprise when, while running in my most unique way, a neighbor popped out her front door and called after me "Good for you!". Suddenly, 80's inspirational music swelled and life slowed to increase the importance of the next few seconds. I turned to give the thumbs up and she returned the favor. With a smile on my face I pushed harder through my run and felt like Wonder Woman. There I was, running, pushing myself to the limit and all while trying to remember the words to "Eye of the Tiger".

When I got home, panting and trying not to limp, my husband turned to me and his expression was utter shock. "Are you ok?" he asked. "I'm... fine.... why?" I said between breaths. "You just look a bit... tired. How far did you run?". I shot a side glance at the mirror and noticed I had changed colors. Gone was my normal human glow and it was replaced by purple spots. How hard had I run? And who knew a bit of encouragement had so much power!?

My next thought was of my neighbor returning back into her house and saying to herself "Thank God I'm not doing it!".

With great power comes great responsibility, Lady! So where are my cookies!?

No comments:

Post a Comment