Saturday, March 12, 2011

Siblings

I find it rather interesting how my son interacts with his sister versus other people. Perhaps it's because he knows what will happen if he pushes his sister and thus does it as much as he can without getting in BIG trouble. Or maybe it's because he sees other people as unsuitable push overs, whereas his sister is so easy to prod a bit. What can you expect from a nine month old though?

While at the Children's museum today my son played wonderfully with the other children. Stepped back for everyone to have a turn and never jumped in front of anyone to play with a toy. Of course we are talking about the kid who hits the floor when anyone talks to him. So, gracefully walking away is probably the easier choice to interacting with others.

It makes me wonder if he is actually more interested in avoiding children. Watching him walk into a group of three or four kids was a hopeful occurrence. This was followed by the children walking away as my son took over the spinny toy. At least I know what motivates him. Spinny things. Who would have thought a spiral would force him to step outside of his box?! Wish I had that effect on him.

All that being said, there are moments when I see my son and daughter laughing together over spit or farts. Yes, a nine month old can laugh at farts, who knew!? Those are moments that make me the most excited. One day both my children will get a good laugh out of me falling on my butt because they put turtle wax right by the entrance to the house. Yes, I'll break my arm and have to go to the hospital and my autistic son will not really understand why I'm crying nor will he fully understand how to console me, but at least the kids did it together. It was a team effort.

And really, if nothing else, siblings are all about getting people on your side against the parents. Oh the fun we'll have! And the lectures I'll have to prepare....

No comments:

Post a Comment