Friday, April 29, 2011

All Alone

I watched an interesting interview with a 20 something year old who has a sibling with Autism.  He said he forced his autistic brother to play with him and found ways to connect on different levels.  That makes me happy.  What made me a little sad was the worry the "normie" brother had about what would happen to his autistic brother.

Can you imagine, before you have children, before you have a pet, before you have an apartment, your biggest fear is your sibling needing help and that you are the only one who can give it to him?  For me, that is an awful fear.  What a weight the child must carry in such a situation.  How can a parent comfort such fears?  "Oh don't worry, we'll have money to take care of him."  I'm not totally sure that would work for me.  I would worry that the money would disappear or worse be stolen.  I would figure out ways to make sure the money would be safe.  I would toss and turn at night after dreams of seeing my sibling lost and alone.

Or as this sibling pointed out: "We forced him into our world, it would be awful to see him all alone in the world he was forced to be part of."

These thoughts just make me nervous.... then something else dawns on me.... shouldn't the government be taking care of us? ... ahhhh, I'm so Canadian...

No comments:

Post a Comment