Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Stomach Flu

All right, enough already!  You mean spirited illnesses!  Leave me alone!

Once again I caught something bad.  Not only bad, but rather gross.  When your kids have the stomach flu you think: Poor thing, they should get in bed and rest.  When you have the stomach flu you think: Dear god someone kill me.

So you can guess what my house looked like after my husband arrived home.  I texted him, very politely, wondering if he could get home before 8pm, ie the kids bedtime.  I NEVER ask him to take work off when I'm sick, not that he doesn't ask if he should, so you can guess it was bad.  I can just see his reaction at his desk.  "8?  Why would she need me to get home before 8?  I might be able to take off an hour early but that's if all goes well over here.  Why would she want me home at the kids bedtimes?... oooooooo.... ya, I should call my boss."

Off he dashed to get home and arrived to two rather over tired children.  My son had taken off all his clothes and my daughter was chewing on news paper she had found in the recycling.  I was on the living room floor.  I had crawled from the bathroom because my son wanted chocolate milk and my daughter needed a bottle.  After accomplishing both tasks I found a pillow and dropped it like it was hot.

Of course this was after two hours throwing up in the bathroom as my children happily opened all the drawers and pulled every last organized thing out.  Not only did they remove them but my children, amazingly as a team, place each thing on me.  Yes, ON me.  I don't know what the fascination was but apparently it was fun.  There were bandages and bandaids, tampons and pads, toothbrushes and thermometers all placed lightly on my legs, arms or head.

Thankfully nothing fell in the toilet and I'm still alive.... so that's good.

But this incident reminded me of a previous post I wrote.  "Siblings" I believe it was.  My hope that one day my son and daughter will play together happily while trying to get me killed or crippled.  I think they're on their way.

My son was pretty sweet about the whole thing.  He kept tapping my shoulder with his little hand reassuringly saying "It's ok, Mommy.  It's ok."  My daughter on the other hand has this awful habit of pulling my hair and thought it was just the greatest gift in the world to have Mommy's head so close to the ground.  I guess you win some and you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment